I measured the gauge of the dropped stitch pattern, counting the stitches on the stockinette rows between the dropped stitch rows. As I obtained slightly different stitch counts, I decided to use the average, 2.655 stitches per inch. After the dropped stitch pattern, the circumference had grown ten inches!. I ripped back to Row 4 of the first dropped stitch pattern where I inserted my own decrease, * K6, K2tog *, keeping the last three stitches in garter. This eliminated 19 stitches, approximately seven inches of fabric..
I continued following the basic pattern, but adjusting the decrease row in the drop stitch pattern. I began with a larger bottom circumference and required larger initial decreases to shape the caplet cowl, allowing for the different gauge in the dropped stitch pattern. I also added additional repeats of the dropped stitch pattern, adding to the length of the caplet cowl.